Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Written Word

Today I received a birthday card in the mail from my Mom.  It was a cute card with a picture of a sweet kitten on the front (my mom loves cats).  She usually writes a few lines inside telling me she is thinking of me and to enjoy my special day, but this card had more than that.  She wrote some "extra" lines telling me that she was remembering when I was a sweet little girl.  She told me I'd grown into a "beautiful and considerate person" (her words) and that she regrets that we live so far apart and hardly get to see eachother.  These "extra" lines brought tears to my eyes.  Words have the power to do that.

Writing personal notes and letters to people has evolved over the years.  Today, there is a new style of writing: emails, text messages, instant messages.  Letter writing by hand has almost disappeared.  I know myself, with a little bit of arthritis in my fingers, I prefer to type rather than hand write.  But I do see the importance of handwriting a letter.  Famous people have written letters that are kept in museums and libraries.  Do you think they will be saving emails and text messages?  I don't know.

I have a memory box that my son, Jeffrey, gave to me many years ago for Christmas.  In it I keep important papers and things I want to keep.  There are also some cards and notes in there that deserved to be kept.  One was from Rick.  He wrote it on a Post-It note and it says, "Everything will be alright as long as we have eachother."  There is no date on the note and I can't even remember under what circumstance he wrote it, but for some reason I kept that little sticky note.  Whenever I look at it, it always reminds me that no matter what is happening in our life, everything will be ok as long as we are together.  That is comforting to me.

In my memory box I have the original letter to Santa that Jeffrey wrote when he was seven.  It also includes a copy of the letter I wrote to my first granddaughter, Lexi, when she was born; a first anniversary card from Rick (we will be married 21 years on February 3rd) where he expressed his undying love for me; a copy of a letter I wrote my mom for her 80th birthday and the letter she wrote me back in reply.  These are all very precious to me.  I will be adding this year's birthday card to the group.  It will be in good company.

1 comment:

  1. Poignant. Let me assure you that your Mom and Rick and I are doing fine. We were with your mother last week and she was laughing harder than I had ever seen her laugh. It was over insults in German. Sandi was reading from a book and doing accents, one was a limp you know what but it translated as a limp tail. It was so funny. You know Sandi, so animated. We had a real good time.
    I am dealing with the death of my mother. It is very difficult but you have no choice. Knowing I will never see or talk to her again is painful and I miss her. I miss you too and you know whenever you want to come, just come. Stay here. We'll house and feed you, you do not have to spend money. You are always welcome. We wonder about our Grandchildren too and what they are going through. Bill and Marilyn are fine we were there a few nights ago, all of us. Move back to NY Pat, there's plenty of work. We're all running out of time.
    I know my mom is in heaven and I also know that you are right where God wants you to be.
    Don't be surprised it Sandi does not get a divorce, just a feeling. Love to you Patty, xo Your sister in law Deb

    ReplyDelete