Thursday, January 28, 2010

One Act of Random Kindness

Rick and I watched the movie Evan Almighty a couple of weeks ago on tv.  It was pretty funny.  At the end of the movie, after Evan and his family built the ark, saved all those people who were making fun of him, and all the bad men in Washington were arrested, God asked Evan, "How do we change the world?"  Evan answers, "One single act of random kindness at a time."  God replies, "One Act of Random Kindness," while writing A-R-K on the ground with a stick.

One act of random kindness -- that's what someone did for me yesterday.

I had an eye doctor appointment in the afternoon. Because of my diabetes, I try to see the eye doctor every year.  I've been seeing blurry for a while now, but kept putting it off until we had insurance.  I decided I couldn't wait any longer.  I found Greenville Eye Care Associates online.  Dr. Tucker was very thorough and friendly.  As he worked we talked.  I told him my story, that Rick has been out of work since last April, that we move around the country wherever the work will take us, and that we were here in Greenville so Rick could go to school to brush up on his pipe welding skills.  Later after sitting with the person who helps you pick out eyeglasses, I told Dr. Tucker I couldn't purchase glasses from his office because I simply couldn't afford it right now.  He said he understood.  I felt bad because I had received a comprehensive eye exam and I was very satisfied with the services I received.  When it came time for me to pay out, the lady behind the counter said, "You're all set.  See you next time."  I waved my debit card and said, "Aren't you forgetting something?"  She said, "No, there is no charge for your services today."  I couldn't believe what I was hearing.  Tears welled up in my eyes as her words sunk in.  Dr. Tucker had waived $160 worth of services.  He didn't know me from Adam but had compassion for the situation I was in.  What a sweet and very much appreciated A-R-K.

Being kind to someone should be a simple thing.  I don't believe it requires much thought.  I think it is a spontaneous action, something we do just because we know it's the right thing to do.  We all could use and give a little more of it.  Yesterday, I was blessed and I thank God there are kind people in the world like Dr. Tucker.

Getting back to Evan Almighty, there's something else God said that caught my attention.  He said, "Let me ask you something. If someone prays for patience, do you think God gives them patience? Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient?"  Today I will pray for opportunities to change my world one single Act of Random Kindness at a time.  ARK has a different meaning for me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment