Monday, March 26, 2012

Alouette

Have you seen and heard the latest Target commercial that uses the French children’s song Alouette?  As soon as the commercial started to play, I began singing along and I knew all the words!  This amazed me!  When had I learned this song?  I imagine it was sometime back in early childhood, but I can’t say when or where. 

I went online and looked up the song on Wikipedia.  There it gave the translation of the words I had learned so many years ago.

Alouette, gentille Alouette
Lark, nice lark

Alouette, je te plumerai
Lark, I shall pluck you

Je te plumerai la tête
I shall pluck your head

(Je te plumerai la tête)
(I shall pluck your head)

Et la tête
And your head

(Et la tête)
(And your head)

Alouette
Lark

(Alouette)
(Lark)

O-o-o-oh
Alouette, gentille Alouette
Alouette, je te plumerai

The song continues with verses about plucking feathers from the lark’s beak, neck, back, wings, feet and tail.  Pretty gruesome.  Doesn’t sound like a children’s song to me!   But it does have a catchy melody. 

The fact that I could remember all the words to this song makes me wonder what else I have forgotten that I used to know.  What other songs, poems, stories, people, places, etc. are in there just waiting for a trigger to be pulled so it can be released?  Only time will tell.

Au Revoir,

~ P


No comments:

Post a Comment