Friday, September 28, 2012

Fearless


This week I did something I have always wanted to do, but never have—I had my hair cut really, really short. 

I’ve seen pictures of short curly haircuts and I would stare at them and wonder how they would look on me.  I’ve seen people with short curly hairstyles that looked so cute on them, but would they look cute on me?  Something always stopped me from finding out.  Fear. 

I was afraid that short hair wouldn’t look good on my full, round face.  I was afraid the curls would be too kinky because they didn’t have the weight to hold them down.  I was afraid short hair would be high maintenance, even more high maintenance than it is now. I was afraid the curls would be gone if they were cut that short. I was afraid I would be left with a puffy frizzy hairball on my head.   I was afraid, I was afraid, I was afraid. 

This week I conquered my fear. 
 
Chris doing his magic with my hair.
I decided that at sixty-one years old I was going to stop being afraid of my hair.  I called Chris, the owner at Salon Naman in Rock Hill, SC.  He has been cutting my hair since I’ve been in this area of the country.  He is very good and knows his stuff where hair is concerned. 

After getting my hair colored, it was Chris’s turn with the scissors.  I gave him some pictures that I downloaded from the internet showing some styles I liked.  They were a drastic change from my current hairstyle, but he said he was not afraid to cut it off if that’s what I wanted. 

I told Chris before we started that I was prepared NOT to like it and he laughed.  I was serious.  I knew it would be so different from anything I had ever done and that alone would be reason enough for my mind to resist the change.   

So he started cutting.  I watched for a while until he told me to take my glasses off—then I couldn’t see anything!!  When he was done, I put my glasses back on and can you guess what I said?  I said, “I don’t like it.”  My reason?  Not what you think.  I told him it was not short enough! He said, “Really?”  I told him to cut it shorter. He looked at me with a surprised expression on his face and said, “You’re fearless.” 

Yes I am…finally! 

The end result is what you see here—and you know what, I do like it. I like that I didn't let myself be swayed by public opinion (Mom, Rick) to not cut it short. After all, it is my hair. I like that it is easy to wash, easy to style, faster to dry, and that I don't wake up with that awful frizzy bed hair. I like that I don't see masses of hair coming out in the shower and I'm saving on shampoo and conditioner.

But I especially like that Chris said I was fearless.  That one word gave me the power I had been lacking for years. I will wear that word proudly and see if I can't integrate it into other areas of my life.  Thanks Chris.

I also feel liberated from all those years of wondering how I would look with short curly hair. And you know what?  I think I look cute!  Yes I do!
 
Be FEARLESS ♥
 
~ P
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on being fearless, there is nothing ordinary about you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Colleen. To be honest, I am mostly ordinary but I have moments that can be extraordinary. This day was one of those!

    ReplyDelete