Friday, July 20, 2012

Musicality

Yesterday I woke up from a dream where I was singing Islands in the Stream.  Today, I woke up dreaming I was playing a black and white cowhide guitar.  Don’t ask me!  I don’t know where these dreams come from!  What I do know is that music has been a part of my life ever since I was a child.  I guess it seeps out in my dreams every now and then.

I believe I inherited my musicality from my mother and my father.  Dad was a guitar player.  He didn’t play much but he had a pretty nice acoustical guitar and he would bring it out at every birthday we kids had and serenade us with the birthday song.  He would also play some Latin music when he was on a roll and he would sing to us in Spanish.  I miss that.  Those were happy times.

Growing up in the Bronx, we had a piano in our apartment that was given to Mom by a friend of hers.  Mom could play a little.  I remember her playing the beginning part of Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata.  I loved it.  It has such a haunting melody that has stayed with me all these years.  When I hear it, I think of Mom.  I always enjoyed when she played it.  I thought she was good. 

Mom was musically inclined.  Her stepfather tuned organs for a living and as a young girl he taught her how to read the notes on a music sheet.  When she was around twelve, he signed her up for lessons with a music professor, but he eventually dropped her as a student because she didn’t take it seriously and didn’t practice, something my mother regrets to this day.

My oldest brother, Bill, purchased a small organ when he returned home from the service.  I would go up to his room and play.  It had different colored cheats on the keys that matched the notes in the song book that came with the organ.  Even with the cheats, I wasn’t very good but I always enjoyed playing.  However, like my mother, I didn’t take it seriously. 

Two of the things on my “I want to learn how to do this before I die” list, besides learning to swim and learning to knit, are learning to play the piano and the guitar.  I don’t know if I will ever accomplish either, but they are still part of my dream.  I think my fingers are too short and now with age, they are a little stiff with arthritis.  But I haven’t given up the dream…yet.

My main contribution to music has been through singing.  I love to sing.  I was always part of the chorus in grade school and it continued on through junior high school.  Singing was always something I did in a group.  I was too shy to sing by myself, unless I was alone or with Gail, my best friend back then.  When we were together we would sing out like rock stars. 

In the early ‘90’s, I joined the choir at the church I attended and have sung in several church choirs since that first time.  When I lived in Pittsfield, Illinois, I was part of a women’s gospel group, WinGS (Women in God’s Service) at Calvary Baptist Church.  We ladies got together weekly to practice and we would sing at church every so often.  I sang soprano.  On occasion, we sang at other churches in the county.  We also sang at the local nursing homes and for the shut-ins from our church.  It was very rewarding to bring joy into these people’s lives.

Being in this group gave me the confidence to step out of my comfort zone and sing solos and duets at church.  It’s amazing what you can do if you do it for God.   The Bible says, “O come, let us sing unto the Lord: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation.” Psalm 95:1.  I like that I can make a joyful noise for God.  No matter what I sound like, I know He is pleased.

If I did inherit my musicality from my mom and dad, then just maybe I passed a little along to my granddaughter, Lexi.  She performed for me when I was in San Diego one time singing and playing the piano.  I recorded it on my phone and it is something I will keep and cherish forever. 

Lexi is heavily involved in dance (she's good too!) and I believe that is where her passion lies.  Her singing and playing are just two of the many talents she has.  They will always be something she can fall back to or do just for her own enjoyment.

I am glad that I have something I can share with my mother and my granddaughter.  So many times the generational gap is too wide to bridge, but music spans generations and the beat goes on...even if it is to a different drummer.

What will the next generation bring?  Another Beethoven, perhaps?

Love and Hugs xoxo, 

~ P

No comments:

Post a Comment